Monday, October 29, 2007

Senior project: Multitouch

Whoaaaah, alright. I'm still alive. This is the first of several updates about my senior thesis project. I am building a multitouch screen and software to be controlled by it.

So far, I have:

*built a ghetto version of the screen, with an infrared webcam that I hacked, and an array of infrared LEDs that I wired up
*constructed a finger-tracking patch in Max/MSP that spits out X-Y data for each fingertip
*procured a projector, which will be set up later

To do:

*make some applications! virtual MPC-style drumpads in the works...
*construct a more permanent enclosure for touchscreen and internals
*make IR lighting better, i.e. more even
*make a front-silvered mirror using cheap Wal-Mart mirror and Aircraft Remover - see this Lumenlab post.
*set up projector, using aforementioned front-silvered mirror
*make my patch send X-Y data over OSC...

See pics of my setup and more details in the Flickr set.

Links that got me started:

NUI Group Forums - VITAL to this project! A good-sized community of varying skill levels, all working on multitouch in various forms. Software & hardware guides here!
Multi-touch Interaction Research - Jeff Han. Very inspirational to a lot of DIY touchscreen builders. This was the video that sparked the idea in my head - "Wouldn't it be cool to make one of these?"
Curtis Bahn - my professor for the senior thesis project. He's an inspirational, intelligent, and helpful guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home